Write a review
- 2 kg Beef cut into large bite sized pieces
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup of flour
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 65 g butter
- 200 g smoked bacon or pancetta (optional)
- 12 shallots peeled and halved
- 2 celery sticks sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp roast rub
- 350 ml good quality red wine
- 2 tbsp beef stock stirred into 500ml hot water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 150 g whole button or chestnut mushrooms
- A splash of brandy (optional)
- Fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 160°C
- Season the beef with sea salt and black pepper and dust with flour shaking off the excess.
- In your Le Creuset Casserole, brown the meat well all over, but do not overcrowd the pot otherwise the meat will stew and not brown.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add 50g butter and gently sauté the bacon, shallots, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Stir in the roast rub and add the beef back into the pot.
- Add the red wine and simmer for 5 – 10mins until the alcohol has cooked off.
- Add the prepared beef stock and tomato paste, stir well to combine.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil before placing into the preheated oven for 3 hours.
- In a separate pan, melt one tablespoon of butter and sauté mushrooms until just cooked and golden brown.
- Flambé with the splash of brandy and add to the casserole if desired.
- Serve in warmed bowls with creamy mashed potatoes and a sprinkling of fresh thyme.